Scottish woman had 3-inch leech living in nose for a month after Vietnam trip
We all bring things back from vacation.
But one Scottish backpacker had a shock when she returned home from Vietnam with a three-inch leech up her nose, reports the Daily Record.
Daniela Liverani suffered nosebleeds when she was traveling around Southeast Asia.
But undaunted, the 24-year-old decided to carry on with her trip, thinking it was nothing more than a burst blood vessel.
But after returning home to Edinburgh, she saw something poking out of her nose. She only went to hospital after the leech crawled from her nose while she was having a shower.
Doctors said the leech had been living in her right nostril for a month.
“I’d fallen off a motorbike just before (the nosebleeds) started, so at first I thought I must have burst a blood vessel,” she said.
“After I got home, the nosebleeds stopped and I started seeing something sticking out of my nostril. I just thought it was congealed blood from the nosebleeds.”
She dubbed the leech, which had got continuously bigger, as “Mr. Curly” because it had curled up into a ball at one point.
It is thought she may have picked up the leech while swimming.